Thursday, February 23, 2017

Part Fifty-Seven: Right on Time


I’ve been referring to it as a sunburn, but now it looks more like a measles rash.  It is a swath flowing from the sun-damaged skin of my neck, covering the upper-right quadrant of my body across sternum and breast until it fades out at my right side just under the armpit.  
Fortunately, it does not itch.  Yet, that is.  But it feels hot and tender, just like a bad sunburn.  Aloe Vera gel helps cool it.   
According to my radiation oncologist, I am right on time with these short-term side effects from radiation.  This is week five, and as her physician’s assistant told me last week, the side effects will gradually worsen until I am done on March 8.  Yesterday she prescribed me a cortisone cream, and it helps quell the discomfort.  So, things really aren’t too bad.  In fact, being right on time (instead of early) with these short-term side effects is nice.   
Counting today (February 23), I have only ten more treatments to go.  I’m getting close to the end of this cancer marathon.  When I’m done, I hope to do more walking and more writing.  I still don’t know how my post-treatment life will pan out, yet there are two things of which I am certain:  it will be different than my pre-cancer life and it will be an adventure because Jesus is my guide.   

No comments:

Post a Comment