Wednesday, May 6, 2015

A Little Chaminade


            A little Chaminade is good for the soul.
            Yes, Chaminade:  Cecile, that is.  Concertino from Opus 107 for flute.  It is a piece I performed in high school with able accompanist David See. 
            Back then, I focused on getting all the notes right.  It sort of, kind of made up for my thin, airy tone. 
            Now, I focus on producing the richest sound I can.  It sort of, kind of makes up for my many missed notes.
            Today, playing through the whole piece (and just about killing my embouchure), I emote through my flute.  What soulful music:  yearnings and aspirations and disappointments soaring through the melody and streams of scales and arpeggios.
            I am grateful for muscle memory, which allows me to play through music so long neglected.  I am grateful for music that expresses what words cannot.  I am grateful for God’s grace.

            I am at peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment