Monday, October 13, 2014

Mired in the Poverty Maze

Okay, I am officially standing on my soapbox to address an issue about which I have strong feelings.  Motivated into action by a Facebook post, I dug through old editions of  The Colby College Collection, an annual composition reader produced by the Colby Community College English department.  In the 2003 edition, I had three essays, all of which dealt with poverty.  I wrote those essays as teaching models for my Composition II writing assignments.  My goal in posting these essays is to raise awareness about poverty in the United States.    

Mired in the Poverty Maze

Poverty is an issue that affects every single person in the United States.  Some experience the stranglehold of poverty firsthand.  Others experience it secondhand—perhaps they know a single mom on welfare or pass by a homeless person every day on their way to work.  All of us help wage the war on poverty, willingly or not, through taxes deducted from our paychecks.  Murray Weidenbaum speaks to the issue of poverty in his article, “Lack of Commitment Perpetuates the Underclass,” promoting the theory that people can avoid poverty and even climb out of it through individual choices.  In addition, he believes the government “can and should” play a role, but that individuals hold the key to success through their own actions (224).
Weidenbaum begins his article with the oft-debated question of whether or not the disparity between rich and poor in the United States is increasing.  He quickly lays that question aside as missing the point.  Many people are poor, he says, so questions should be directed to alleviating poverty instead of simply analyzing it.  He proposes two questions that he answers in his article:  “How do people fall into poverty?  How can they be helped to move out of poverty?” (222)
Weidenbaum assures his readers that “it is inaccurate for Americans to castigate themselves as a heartless society” because, in fact, the government spends huge amounts of money to fight poverty (222).  The problem, however, is that “the large outlays have not produced the promised results” (222).  The larger issues that need to be addressed, according to Weidenbaum, are the “personal and social problems” of the poor (222).  He proposes that family dysfunction such as single-parent families, lack of education, and unemployment perpetuate the cycle of poverty (223).
So how can the cycle be broken?  Weidenbaum continually emphasizes the responsibility of the individual although he concedes that society can help.  He offers a simple, three-part solution for those who are poor:  finish high school, stay married, and keep working (223).  He seems, though, to focus on being married as the key, clearly implying that single mothers are the most likely to be poor.  He also claims that if “a woman on welfare takes on a full-time job, the odds are overwhelming that she is lifting herself out of poverty” (224).
Weidenbaum concludes by pointing out actions the government can take to combat poverty:  work toward a strong economy with a plentiful supply of jobs, improve education, and supply funds “to alleviate distress” (224).  However, he also emphasizes again that personal responsibility is the key factor “required to escape the poverty trap” (224).
On some counts I agree with Weidenbaum.  Certainly, unemployment, lack of education, and single-parent households help create and perpetuate the cycle of poverty.  Moreover, I find his emphasis upon personal responsibility refreshing.  However, I also believe he is viewing the problem of poverty simplistically and unrealistically.
Weidenbaum conveniently pigeonholes all the poor into his simple stereotype:  uneducated, unemployed, and unmarried.  While I do not doubt that these are significant factors, neither do I believe they are the sole factors behind poverty.  I know this too well, because I spent nearly a decade of my adult life mired in the quicksand of poverty.  Yet I was married and had a college education.  My husband worked full-time at minimum wage jobs and I stayed home, except for several part-time stints, with the children.  Some would say I should have worked.  But my college education, as enriching as it was, did not qualify me for any decent-paying job.  It didn’t take too much calculating to realize that I would take home next to nothing once daycare and transportation costs were taken from minimum wage earnings.   Perhaps a stereotype of the poor is a helpful generalization, but it is also too simplistic.  Weidenbaum completely ignores other causes of poverty:  unavoidable lay-offs, catastrophic medical emergencies, disability, minimum wage employment, or—as in my case—poor academic planning.
Besides being simplistic, Weidenbaum is also unrealistic.  His claim that a woman going from welfare to full-time work will lift herself out of poverty is absurd.  Just what kind of job can a welfare mom expect to find?  Probably minimum wage.  If she must pay daycare, she will be lucky to be able to pay her rent, utilities, and any other bills, let alone purchase groceries.  Besides, unless health insurance is offered as a benefit, she will be unable to afford it.  Some states have programs for qualifying children, but she will have to forego insuring herself.
While I agree that personal responsibility plays a huge role in breaking the poverty cycle, I also believe that poverty can be an inescapable maze.  Favorable circumstances must present themselves so the individual can exercise personal responsibility.  Not everyone is as fortunate as I was.  Simply taking a low-paying job to supplement my husband’s low income would not have helped due to daycare costs, and I was not qualified for higher-paying jobs despite my college education.  The situation seemed hopeless until, on a whim, I decided to look into graduate school.  I found that in two years I could earn my master’s degree while working as a graduate assistant teaching freshman-level courses.  For that, my tuition would be waived, and I would receive a small monthly stipend—just enough to cover daycare, transportation, and miscellaneous expenses associated with school and work.  We could continue to scrimp by on my husband’s income while I worked toward increasing my earning power.
For me there was a happy ending, a way out of the poverty maze.  Despite Weidenbaum’s naively optimistic outlook, there are many U.S. citizens who continue to scramble through the maze, looking for a way out but never finding it.  I am one of the lucky ones.    




Work Cited
Weidenbaum, Murray.  “Lack of Commitment Perpetuates the Underclass.” 
Poverty:  Opposing Viewpoints.  Ed. Katie de Koster.  San Diego: Greenhaven, 1994.  221-224.

No comments:

Post a Comment