Sunday, November 11, 2012

Driving



            In the dream, I am driving.  Sometimes it is dark; sometimes it is rainy; but always I cannot see out the windshield.   All my senses scream that this is dangerous, but somehow I have not caused an accident yet.  I am afraid someone will be hurt by my blind driving, but there is no way out.  I am helpless to stop the vehicle or to pull over out of harm’s way. 
            All at once, the solution appears.  I notice the white line along the outer side of the lane.  I can see that white line when I look to my right through the passenger side window, though I still cannot see ahead.  It seems a strange way to drive, but as long as I watch the white line, I can steer by it and stay safely on the road. 
            Today as I drove the twenty winding highway miles to church, I understood this dream as an analogy for life.  I never have been able to imagine, let alone see into, the future.  Yet somehow days turn into weeks and months and years, and I still travel along the highway.  The white line is the Word, Jesus Himself.  I may not know what turns my life will take, but as long as I keep my eyes on the line I will drive and arrive safely home.

No comments:

Post a Comment