Thursday, December 15, 2011

Showing Up


            It never ceases to amaze me when God shows up.
            Today God showed up when I sat down to write the Stephen Ministry column for our church newsletter.  I had an idea for what I planned to write, but as soon as I typed the first sentence, a brand new avenue opened up.  The Holy Spirit’s ideas are undoubtedly better than my own, so I followed the trail.  I trust that the result, which involved way more of God’s Word than my words, will be something someone needs.
            Yesterday God showed up when I checked my email and discovered that asking permission to share a slice of three friends’ lives in my Random Reflections column (again, for our church newsletter) blessed them.  Their kind words blessed me, too.
            God shows up all the time:  as I type at the computer, practice my flute, drive down the highway, or walk up the driveway.  His appearances come in the form of new ideas and turns of phrase, in the joy of playing music, in the mountain and water views, and in the tall firs that reach toward the sun. 
He’s even caught my attention with slimy slugs.
           

No comments:

Post a Comment