Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Northwest Jumping Pine Cones

      Twice I have seen it today:  a pine cone jumping near the end of our driveway.  I realize that, in fact, the pine cones are falling from the trees, but the visual effect is of them jumping happily about.  They appear out of thin air almost as if the pine tree fairy is tossing them from the top of the tree.  Who knew that pine cones bounce so well?
      I also saw a slug on a diet today.  I’m not sure what slugs eat or how they diet, but this one was downright skinny.  Maybe it was a teenager who has grown too fast and now needs to bulk up.
      When I came back in the house after my walk, the cat was singing.  I expected to see a mouse in his mouth, but I didn’t.  Orie usually sings like that when he has caught something.  Maybe this time he was singing about a memory.
     Now, that reminds me to bring the extra mouse bait I bought yesterday over to John’s house.  I’ll watch for slugs and dodge the fairy-flung pine cones on my way over.
           

No comments:

Post a Comment